Friday, February 18, 2011

Happy Being Me (Even if Me is Nappy) - Dedicated to Andre Fuller


You guys already know a bit about my self-esteem issues and my church issues. So imagine what went down when I cut my hair!

Dra-ma!

Ever since I was a little girl, I loved short, natural hair. I remember how gorgeous I thought Shari Belafonte was in the 70’s with her short, cropped cut and used to love this wig called the Linda Boy Cut advertised in the back of Essence magazine each month. 

But, like many Black men, my father had serious long-hair issues. 

I remember cutting my hair in the notorious snatch back when I as a freshman at Howard in 1982. I musta thought I was big and bad since I was 150 miles away from home, totally forgetting that I would actually be going home again and soon!

When I walked off the train at 30th Street Station in Philadelphia that Thanksgiving, my father’s face went from a grin to crestfallen in 10 seconds flat. I immediately knew I was in deep doo-doo.

My father expressed his complete and utter disapproval by not speaking to a soul for three days and finally telling me he didn’t like anything about me.

Ouch!

Not very affirming for a fledgling freshman whose self-esteem was hanging by a thread.

And my hair wasn't even nappy! It was still fried, dyed, and laid-to-the-side. Fluffy, chemically-straightened curls just blowin’ in the wind.

Like many sisters, thus began this tug-o-war with how I wear my hair. 

Fast-forward some 10 years and I faced this same showdown with my then husband. 

I decided to cut my hair in the infamous Halle Berry style of the early 90’s and I looked GOOD! But my husband was about to make me go live in the garage! 

It was around this time that my scalp staged a major revolt known as seborrheic dermatitis (a form of dandruff) and folliculitis. You see, I have very sensitive skin and never tolerated relaxers well. My scalp would literally be on fire and, after years of damage, finally said, “Enough!”

The awful scaly flakes were eventually cured but the chronic itching, redness, and irritation was not (still isn’t).

Did I also mention that I went to different dermatologists for 10 years who prescribed everything from shampoos, special concoctions, and rounds of antibiotics that did not work? I smelled like a cross between Sulfur 8 and Glover’s Mane. When the last resort was scalp injections, I said, “That’s it! I’m outta here!”

So after years of suffering I decided I wanted to cut my hair and wear it natural. 

I was like, “Damn it, I am 30 years old and should be able to pick my own hair style!” And if you're gonna complain about any kind of short, I might as well go for it!

I did cut my hair short but I wish I could say I wore it natural from the jump.

I punked out based on my fear that I wouldn’t look feminine enough, as well as admonitions from the Deacons and Pastor from my church that a woman’s hair is her glory and I need to grow my hair back for my husband.

Don’t even get me started.

Anyway, I would use a “texturizer” to “relax” my curl just a bit and experimented with color. A milder relaxer, I reasoned, and no heat from curling irons and blow dryers. So let’s just add another chemical (color) to maintain the same level of torture, why don’t we?

I eventually went to another dermatologist who told me the only way my scalp woes would improve was to go as natural as possible. 

But how could I be Happy Being Me since Me is Nappy?

Well, one evening during the Christmas Break of 2004, I took my sad, lonely self to dinner at Carrabba’s in Bowie (it was Dad’s turn that year).

Since this was spontaneous, there was a hellified wait and I decided to sit at the bar where you can watch the chef’s cook. I “happened” to sit next to a sorority sister and one of her friends who had THE sharpest Caesar cut. I said to her - a complete stranger, mind you – “I wish I had the guts to cut my hair natural like that.”

She, my now good friend Dr. Kim, said to me, “What are you talking about?! You’re already there!”

I was like, “No, you don’t understand. My ex-husband already thinks I’m a lesbian since I divorced him and lost 40 pounds (don’t know why he didn’t get the correlation - he just thought I had HIV) and the church thinks I’m the anti‑Christ. This will just solidify their suspicions.”

She was like, “Girl, look: on my next day off, I’m going to take you to my barber and we’re going to do this!”

Well, we did and I worried for weeks about not looking enough like a girl. I wore more make-up and added bigger earrings. 

Eventually, I got so many compliments – especially from men – I was like, "I got it goin' on!"

I’ve been wearing my hair in this awesome style for six years and have still been told by some very, shall I say, ill-informed people that if I want a man, I need to grow my hair back. Incidentally, when I got the Halle Berry cut 10 years before, one of my aunts told me I needed to grow my hair back (it was close on the sides and the back) because no husband wants to wake up to a bald head every day. My mother’s response was, “You have a head full of hair and are still divorced so what’s the difference?” As the texters and IMmers say, SMH.

About a month ago I started growing my hair out just a tad based on my teenage daughter’s urging. Apparently, I am on my way to all gray and our hairstylist thought a little length and a little color might do me some good. The jury is still out on whether it will stay this way or not but it’s NAPPY and I’m HAPPY!

P.S. This picture is me with the close cut, not the new longer, dyed hair :-)

12 comments:

  1. Ha! Had to laugh out loud remembering the weight loss, short hair, you left me so you can't possibly be straight anymore...drama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally, I am loving your story. And by the way, you are telling so many details from my hair life. About four years ago, I too began suffering dramatic breakage, baldness and scalp afflictions. My hairdresser had no words or help, only recommended more chemicals and heat. On my own, without doctor feedback, or consultations with my hubby, I showed up at the barber and said CUT IT OFF! Loved the short natural, and started a revolution in my home church. After other women saw the freedom I enjoyed, I became a Harriet Tubman of hair leading my sisters out of the oppression of creamy crack and flat iron torture!


    Yes, I've gotten the questions, the stares, the disapproving looks, but I don't care. I'm 45 and I decided I need to live for me and accept what God gave me. My hubby loves my hair. He has even encouraged me to go shorter, like your pic. He says he can see the beauty of my face better. Where did I find this forward thinking, secure man? Oh, and the passages regarding a woman's hair being her crowning glory, from the Bible have been misunderstood and misquoted. The issue from the Bible (1 Cor 11) had to do with pagan ritual prostitutes, who cut their hair off and flaunted their promiscuity. To distinguish Christians from this pagan worship, Paul set out to eradicate any chance of confusion. Don't let people hold the scriptures against you! When they do, they are acting as your judge and lack grace. God knows your heart, and if you were acting on the best interest of your scalp and mental health...then what THEY think is irrelevant. Continue on in your fierceness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, I said it before and I'll say it again, you are beautiful! Your writing here reminds me so much of Alice Walker's essay on her hair journey. I am sure you have read it in the past but you should go back and read it again. I love it. She freed her hair and it was a mind expanding experience for her in her 40th year. I do think the 40s are the best for us women!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Vialegirl, the 40's are phenomenal! Oh that we would embrace this spirit sooner! The overriding message -do you to the max the minute you know who you is! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I go back and forth from short hair Halle Berry/Nia Long style, long hair, going to the Dominans to get wash and blow dry, and short natural hair going to the barber every other week. I have been letting my hair grow back in since September with no perm because as much as I like Halle Berry hairstyles, I do not have the patience to sit in a hair salon for hours, plus I go to the gym and I only sweat in my hair (UGH). At least with my long hair, I can pull it back in a pony tail. I have never had a weave or done wigs and individuals pulled my hair out.

    I am so glad you decided to wear our hair the way you want too and not let men and society influence you on how to wear your hair.

    Nia, my sister, suggested I read Trisha R. Thomas series "Napily" series. I suggest this series to all females. Its fiction writing, but her books touches on everything that you touched on in your blog.

    Keep up the excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. U know, I've been wearing my hair short for so long, I had completely forgotten about all of the stuff leading up to it. Like your dad, my grandmother refused to speak to me and has NEVER approved of it. I never felt less attractive to men, but I DO FEEL that there are "types" of men who like it and types who don't. I think you look absolutely beautiful and are representing wonderfully. As for the grey, you've earned it. WEAR IT WITH PRIDE and like the beautiful woman you are...

    ReplyDelete
  7. One other thing I forgot to mention. I also fell in love with Shari Belafonte's short cut and remember her on the cover of Essence with her Dad the summer before I went to college. She was my inspiration to go short. Unlike you, my father encouraged me to cut mine off. He was a proud rebel of the 70's and couldn't understand why I would put chemicals in my hair that caused my scalp to burn and have scabs. It is incredibly powerful to realize that I have never had issues about my hair or how I look because he always told me how beautiful I was. A father's love and approval is so critical to a young woman's self-esteem...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Quinn, you are singing my song. My father, in his own way, gave me his blessing just days before he died (a blog entry to come) but I worry that my daughter's Dad has not affirmed her unconditionally. It is my prayer that she will be able to secure her awesome self-esteem in spite of this obstacle. Love -

    P.S. And thanks for your affirmation of ME! Your loving number - TT...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You changed your hair?????...nice piece too...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Diaspora - it's just a little longer, curlier (your trusty sidekick's idea). I don't think it's going to last, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome story, Alli! It's a shame that here in America we are encouraged to go against our heritage of wearing hair short and natural. Women in Africa do it all the time and it's BEAUTIFUL! Your hair fits you perfectly. I'm so glad you now have the courage to wear it proudly :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Chenille - you know you're my inspiration. I have never seen a more beautiful woman doing natural. Thanks for the encouragement - this curly thing is so about to go! Love -

    ReplyDelete