Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bridging the Gap with Love, Peace, and SOUL!


This past week I had the honor and pleasure of reading an excerpt from HBCU Experience – The Book at an event that promoted this historic project as well as the screening of a monumental film documentary titled, Mr. SOUL! The Movie.
I LOVED it!
Not only because it felt like I was taking concrete steps toward making my dream of becoming a writer come true, but because I had the distinct feeling that I am part of a movement. Indeed it is a renaissance of substance in our hearts, minds, and souls that is bringing our rich legacy back to life.
HBCU Experience – The Book is the brainchild of Howard University Professor Dr. Tia Tyree and Howard University alum Christopher Cathcart. These two communications titans (along with many others, I’m sure) believe it is important to document the historically black college and university (HBCU) experience through the eyes of students and alumni because, “[HBCUs] have a rich legacy in the United States and [the] graduates of these institutions have made and continue to make major contributions to the history and climate of this country.” (www.blackcollegebook.com)
When I told my delightful teenage daughter of my contribution to project, she wanted to know why I felt this book was so important.
I had to point out – and remember myself - that the so-called majority culture has clearly defined what the college experience looks like and that it is an assumed experience we all accept and, at times, celebrate.
But, I reminded her - and myself – that that’s not the only way to experience higher learning.
Unfortunately, the larger culture isn’t as aware of HBCUs and our own community has not done the best job promoting or preserving their value and significance.
I also had to remind her that at one time, HBCUs were the primary, if not only, vehicle by which proud, intelligent, gifted, and talented African Americans could plot a future of their own.
Similarly, the screening of Mr. SOUL! The Movie was the perfect pairing to HBCU Experience, much like a good wine complements the perfect meal.
Kudos belongs to Melissa Haizlip, niece of creator and host Ellis Haizlip, who has worked diligently to bring this treasure to the fore. Mr. SOUL!, dubbed the first Black Tonight Show, harnessed the tenor and tone of what was stirring in the Black community in the late 60’s / early 70’s by showcasing not only the exquisite artistic talent in the African American community but our intellectual prowess as well as our supreme beauty and diversity. It wasn’t given its due and lost its fight to remain on PBS but is indeed priceless.
I simply cannot get enough of this film and my heart swells with pride each time I see it.
I am mesmerized by discussions with a young Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, James Baldwin, and Nikki Giovanni, as well as debut performances by the likes of Earth, Wind, and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Miriam Makeba, and Donny Hathaway.
I find it particularly rewarding to share these images and experiences with my teenage daughter, who has the power and the best opportunity to not only become aware of this movement but to propel it forward and make it stick.
Like most teens, she walks around with her iPhone stuck to her ears blasting all kinds of music. And, like most parents of teens, I have had to put forth some effort to bridge the gap between my culture and what has now become the norm.
Thanks to her, I have learned to recognize Drizzy Drake’s The Motto and the very old Fancy (my ringtone on her phone, by the way). And, in spite of my resistance and mixed emotions, I admit I still like Pretty Boy Swag by Soulja Boy.
Nevertheless, I smile when I hear some Earth, Wind, and Fire and Stevie Wonder sneak out of the headphones while she sings the lyrics.
Here’s a quintessential bridging the gap moment:
When we lost spoken word pioneer Gil Scott-Heron, my daughter was devastated. “You mean The Revolution Will Not Be Televised?” she asked incredulously. She was almost as upset as if Drake had met his Maker (almost).
But the ultimate was when in that same year, the BET Awards paid homage to Brother Gil with Queen Latifah reciting a verse or two of the iconic Revolution. My daughter was visiting her grandmother out of town but made sure to call me so we could watch it together. (And The Queen killed it!)
You see, when she was a little thing, I taught her to sing this song with her fist in the air because I wanted her to know that there were rappers back in the day who could spit rhymes about positive, uplifting issues that were empowering and sounded good.
And before we bemoan the mindset and preferences of our current generation, it is incumbent upon us to take a look at the proverbial man / woman in the mirror.
They did not arrive at this place in a vacuum.
And trust me - this is not about me being the model parent by a long-shot. I shudder to think that she may emulate some of my missteps. But I hope the good will outweigh the bad.
So here’s my Two Cents by way of a shout-out:
I thank you, Dr. Tia Tyree, tenured Howard University Professor; Christopher Cathcart, Distinguished Howard University classmate, alum, and friend; and Melissa Haizlip, history preserver and film maker extraordinaire. Your efforts are bridging the gap between what was, what is, and what will be. Thanks to you, we got us a new revolution that is not only being televised, but is being told, written, filmed, Facebooked, and Tweeted!
I’m a witness.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is the most stirring, heartfelt, inspiring, powerful, and eloquently written piece I've read in YEARS! Thank you, Sis! I am both humbled and moved beyond words. You write with a passion, precision and connectivity that breathes a mastery of perception and new worlds of appreciation for the bigger picture, which at times, for so many of us, is hard to see. Thank YOU for being the scribe -- we need to be able to document our movements as they are underfoot, whether we realize the importance (at the time) or not. Brava! (You just topped my sheroes list!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Said it Loud...I'm Black and Proud to be your friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just gonna marry OneDiaspora Speaks! (see Alli's Two Cents 2/9/2012) :-)

      Delete