Thursday, December 22, 2011

Wearing My Heart on My Sleeve


I want to talk about gentle people.

Flawed human beings who happened to have a tender heart that this world doesn't seem to tolerate very well.

I can truly relate.

For some reason, I am just wired in a way that has often been considered hyper-sensitive and I have often considered this trait the bane of my existence.

I’m not trying to paint a picture like I’m some kind of saint. I can get angry and throw a temper tantrum with the best of ‘em.

But one of the most troubling trends I see in our culture today is the acceptance, even the expectation that we will trample over the more vulnerable among us simply because we can.

Again, let me emphasize - I am far from perfect. And I have definitely had to develop a thicker skin. But I am wondering, particularly at this time of year, if we can’t consider that we truly are connected and that there’s nothing to fear in trying a little tenderness?

More often than not, we go through the motions of being loving and kind but we’ve shut our hearts down out of fear of being hurt. I get that because the hyper-sensitive me has been no stranger to heartbreak. But it’s that Spirit that connects us all that makes me pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again.

I’m not saying be a doormat (one of my specialties in my early years) but at this time when genuine kindness is seen as somewhat normal, can’t we at least pretend we really mean it?

A couple of weeks ago I boarded the commuter bus home and, as is my custom, said hello to the bus driver. I do that because I am so grateful for the bus drivers who can navigate traffic with ease while I ride home in comfort. So with my weary but warm smile, I said, “Hi! How ya doin’?” Most of the time I get an equally weary but warm, “Fine, and you?” But this particular driver looked through me with a grimace, furrowed eyebrows, and tightly-pursed lips and declared, “I'm blessed and grateful.”

My eyes flew open as I thought to myself, “Oh really, now? Coulda fooled me!”

There was no smile, no warm fuzzies, no eye contact. But she was blessed and grateful. Her demeanor was so stern I was taken aback and didn’t know how to respond. I just kinda looked at her as she stabbed my bus ticket and shuffled off to my seat.

I’m all for affirming our spiritual heritage with gusto. But shouldn’t our demeanor at least match our proclamations? After all, this is Christmas; the time of year when it’s acceptable to let Spirit of Christ shine most brightly.

Just when I was tempted to think maybe she had a bad day or was just tired, Miss Blessed and Grateful pulled into our first drop-off and shouted, “Get your stuff because I ain’t takin' it if you leave it.”

Oh yeah, she’s got the spirit all right.

There’s a Scripture that says (paraphrasing) that the world will know we are Christians by our love. In his song, Not Just What You Say, Fred Hammond puts it this way:

[It’s] Not just what you say (It's mostly what you do)
Not a game that you play (To keep the winning hand with you)
Not just wasting time (With empty words that don't mean much)
Not just how you feel (When others need your tender touch)
So can you take out some time (To help somebody else in need)
And when this is done (The love of God is truly seen)
Then above all (We need to cover and forgive)
Then we can act like we know what love is

I would trade all the “Too Blessed to Be Stressed” license plates and WWJD? bracelets for a few encounters with people who don’t mind wearing their hearts on their sleeves just a little bit. It might feel a little corny or uncomfortable at first but it’s not that hard. Really. And it’s worth it.

So as you prepare to share the holidays with those you love, remember that we truly are all one and a little love goes a long way. Cliché as it sounds, it truly is the greatest gift.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment